Friday, July 13, 2012

Assignment 3 - 3D model animation

After a few classes by Mr. Angus on creating an animation, I started my work as early as possible.
To make things interesting, I wanted to make my animation with a thriller theme.
However, due to some rendering setting issues, my work was delayed.

3D animation:-

  
 1. Photoshop blood stains onto wall textures.
As my theme is a short thriller animation, I photoshopped blood stains on the wall textures and bitampped it onto planes in 3ds max.
Special thanks to Keith Yeap for helping me out with the blood stain photoshopping.

  
 2. Messing up the house.
As the animation is suppose to portray a massacre in the building, I messed up the furnitures to resemble a homicide scene.
This was quite torturing as I have a lot of furnitures in the building. I deleted a few furnitures to smoothen the rendering.

  
3. Adjusting the cameras.
I adjusted my cameras to resemble a first person perspective walking through the space.

  
 4. Increase the key frames.
Increasing key frames to lengthen my animation video length.

  
 5. Path constraint.
After drawing a CV curve, I path contrainted my camera to the curve so that my camera will follow the path.

  
6. Setting up keys.
I set keys to the cameras to adjust the angles to render.

  
 I saved a total of 8GB 3ds max files while rendering different scenes.
This is to save time as I can render in different computers.
However, I did not set the render settings correctly which caused me to waste more time in rendering.

  
7. Manually adjusting the position of the furnitures.
Due to the overwhelming amount of 3ds files I saved, I manually adjust the position of the furnitures in different files as I accidentally moved/removed furnitures.

I also manually aligned the cameras in different files to join the scene from the previous 3ds max file.
This was so torturing because it was really hard to get the angles correct.

8. Adding sunlight.

9. Render
This is the most torturing part as my files were very huge.
I also did not have enough computers for me to render different files, so I have to render one by one.
I tried to render in other computers but I realized I saved my bitmap pictures on my desktop and was unable to transfer them to another computer. I was fed up and couldn't be bothered to reassign my materials and textures in another computer.
Other than that, the longest time it took to render a 300 frame scene was 145 hours! This is the reason why I submitted my work late!!!!!!

Special thanks to TzyBin for advising me on how to set the render settings to fasten my rendering process.

The amount of files I rendered.
Finally, I was done rendering!!

 10. Importing the rendered clips into Windows Movie Maker.
I stitched the clips together, added in sound effects, and a title and an ending.
Special thanks to Chan Chuan for helping me out with this as this was my first time using Windows Movie Maker.

11. Saving the video.

12. Uploading the animation on Youtube.


I was really relieved to finish this animation. Even though I was rushing through the whole process and even submitted late, I am still glad I was able to finish this before my semester ends.
I had a few problems with 3ds max and it almost made me cry. Thank you to those who helped me out!
Thank you Mr.Koh for giving us another one week to finish and submit our animation even though it will be considered as late submission.
Big thanks to Mr.Angus for being our lecturer and teaching us the tips on how to use 3ds max.

No comments:

Post a Comment